School Entrance and Attendance Chart
NYSDOH Immunization School Assessment and Compliance Unit: 518-474-1944 Email: email@example.com
Per Rosamaria Figliomeni-Albanese, MPA, Director, NYSDOH School Assessment and Compliance Unit:
At this time, the NYSDOH is not issuing exceptions for immunizations because of COVID-19. The Department's stance continues to be that students missing vaccine doses for any reason must comply with Public Health Law Section 2164 requirements. Children entering or attending school in New York State, including summer school and distance learning, must comply with said requirements.
NYSED Guidelines|Memos- Currently Under Revision
NYSDOH Immunization Chart and FAQs
- Immunization Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance for the 2020-21 school year (NYSDOH 6/26/20)
- School Immunization Requirements 2020-21 Webinar (NYSDOH 4/12/20)
- NYSDOH 2020-2021 Immunization FAQs (These FAQs are located under the topic heading Immunization Survey Instruction Book-Instructions by Grade Level for Completing Form. 7/3/20)
Note these changes which are detailed in the NYSDOH 2020-21 Immunization FAQs:
In the 2020-2021 school year, only doses of DTaP inadvertently received at 10 years of age or older will satisfy the Tdap requirement for students in grade 6; however, doses of DTaP received at age 7 years or older will satisfy the requirement for students in grades 7 through 12. The minimum age for the Tdap adolescent booster dose will roll out over additional grades in the coming years. However, DTaP should not be intentionally given to a child on or after 7 years of age.
In the 2020-2021 school year, the minimum age for the first dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine for grade 7 is age 10 and for grades 8 through 11, the minimum age is 6 weeks. The recommended age for most healthy teens is 11 through 12 years of age. The Immunization School Survey Booklet 2020-21 Questions and Answers Page 12 minimum age for MenACWY vaccine will roll out over additional grades in the coming years.
NYSCSH Resources to Implement Immunization Requirements
- Immunization Laws-Public Health Law Section 2164 (Links directly to Law)
- Rules and Regulations Subpart 66-1.1-61.10- Regarding immunizations for school attendance. (Links directly to Rules and Regulations 8/16/19).
- Note: If the health department staff indicate that they cannot provide the required immunizations for students, please instruct parents to ask for the Immunization Coordinator. If the Immunization Coordinator is unable to assist them or is not reachable, parents/guardians should contact the NYS Department of Health Bureau of Immunization at 518-474-1944 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide their name and contact info. The NYSDOH will follow up with the local health department.
NYSDOH Medical Exemption Resources and Forms-External Link to NYSDOH Resources
The NYSDOH Child Care Programs, Schools and Post-Secondary Institutions page contains multiple resources to assist schools. They include Notification to Providers Regarding Medical Exemptions, Guidance on Immunization-Related Medical Exemptions for School-Aged Children, Medical Exemption Statement for Children 0-18 years of Age Fillable Form, Medical Exemption Review Procedures for Schools Outside New York City and for Non-public Schools in New York City and List of Susceptible Students Sample Templates.(Updated 6/28/2020)
- Contraindications to Immunization: Best Practices Guidance of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) (3/30/20)
- Immunization Action Coalition Guide to Contraindications and Precautions for Commonly Used Vaccines (3/2020)
McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Axt, Refugee Act and Children with information on page 4 applicable to school health and Children Displaced by Natural Disasters- Hurricanes (Updated 11/2017)
Registries for NYS and NYC Immunization
NYSIIS (NYS) and NYCIR NYC) New York State Department of Health Registries online database with immunization records for persons of all ages in NYS outside of NYC. CIR is the online database for New York City.
Resources to Get Help
- NYSDOH Bureau of Immunization - Regional Field Offices Contact Information (6/2015)
- NYSDOH Immunization School Assessment and Compliance Unit: 518-474-1944 Email: email@example.com
- NYSDOH Bureau of Immunization email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYC primary/secondary schools, Head Start programs, nursery schools, and daycares should direct questions to the NYC Department of and Mental Hygiene at 347-396-2433.
Page last updated 7/12/2020