Please use the NYSDOH Help-Line at the bottom of this page to obtain assistance.
The NYSDOH has released four FAQs related to Public Health Law section 2164 (Immunizations).
Each FAQ contains different information.
NYSED Guidelines|Memos- Currently Under Revision
NYSCSH Resources to Implement Immunization Requirements
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Catch Up Schedule (2/2019)
- DTaP Catch Up Schedule 4 months- 6 years (CDC)
- Tdap Catch Up Schedule 7 years-18 years (CDC)
- NYSCSH Chronological Grade Level Chart 2019-2020 for the chronological grade level in ungraded classes (3/2019)
- NYSCSH Sample Notification Letters of Immunization Requirements to Parents by Grade Level (2019)
- Time and Date Calculator for Determining Age and Interval Validity
NYSDOH Public Health Law 2164 and Rules and Regulations Subpart 66-1.1-61.10
NYS Public Health Law Section 2164 and New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Title 10, Subpart 66-1 requires every student entering or attending public, private or parochial school in New York State (NYS) to be immune to diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, poliomyelitis, hepatitis B, varicella and meningococcal in accordance with Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendations. In the 2019-20 school year, meningococcal immunization is required for grades 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12.
- Immunization Laws-Public Health Law Section 2164 (Links directly to Law)
Both the emergency and current regulations need to be reviewed in order to understand the requirements.
- Rules and Regulations Subpart 66-1.1-61.10- Regarding immunizations for school attendance. (Links directly to Rules and Regulations 8/16/19) Must be reviewed in conjunction with Emergency regulations provided below as that document contains all updates required by law.
- Emergency regulations to conform to recent amendments to the Public Health Law (8/16/19) Must be reviewed in conjunction with Rules and Regulations Subpart 66-1.1-61.10 above, as this document only contains information amended to comply with Public Health Law 2164. Information in this document which is contained in brackets has been removed. All other information is current.
Note: Schools must provide parents/guardians of excluded students with information on how to obtain immunizations at their local health department. If the health department staff tell parents that they cannot provide the required immunizations for students, please instruct parents to ask for the Immunization Coordinator. If the Immunization Coordinator is unable to assist them or is not reachable, parents/guardians should contact the NYS Department of Health Bureau of Immunization at 518-474-1944 or email them at email@example.com and provide their name and contact info. The NYSDOH will follow up with the local health department.
NYSDOH 2019-20 Immunization Requirements for School Attendance Chart
- 2019-20 Immunization Requirements for School Attendance Chart (NYSDOH, 3/2019) Available in many languages.
- 2013-14 Pre-K-12 NYS Immunization Requirements Chart for School Entrance/Attendance-Use this chart for students who are in grade 12 during the 2019-20 school year. They do not need to be assessed for Hepatitis B intervals.
NOTE: The NYSDOH is reviewing the current immunization guidance for schools. When the 2020-2021 Immunization Chart is available we will place it on the website and send an email notification through our email system.
NYSDOH Medical Exemption Resources and Forms-External Link to NYSDOH Resources (Updated 8/21/2019)
- NYSDOH Notification to Providers Regarding Medical Exemptions (6/2019)
- Guidance on Immunization-Related Medical Exemptions for School-Aged Children (6/2019)
- Contraindications to Immunization: Best Practices Guidance of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) (5/2019)
- Immunization Action Coalition Guide to Contraindications and Precautions for Commonly Used Vaccines (7/2019)
- Letter to Superintendent/Principal/School Nurse Regarding Public Health Law 2164(7) (a) and fines for non-compliance(a)(8/2019)
- School Immunization Requirements Page-Contains Immunization Requirements for Attendance Chart, vaccination deadlines, Webinars|FAQs on Medical Exemptions, Parent Fact Sheets and everything schools and parents need for the 2019-20 school year and Survey Requirements.
NYSDOH PARENT RESOURCES REGARDING IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS
- Meningococcal Vaccine Requirement FAQs and Flyer (5/2019) Available in English and Spanish.
- New Law on School Vaccination Requirements Parent Flyer- Parent resource which indicates what the timelines for immunization are for the 2019-20 school year (6/19)
- Parents: NYS School Vaccination Requirements Have Changed Flyer- Parent information regarding immunization deadlines in English, Chinese, Bengali, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, and Spanish (7/19)
McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Axt, Refugee Act and Children with information on page 4 applicable to school health and Children Displaced by Natural Disasters- Hurricanes (Updated 11/2017)
Registries for NYS and NYC Immunization
NYSIIS (NYS) and NYCIR NYC) New York State Department of Health Registries online database with immunization records for persons of all ages in NYS outside of NYC. CIR is the online database for New York City.
Resources to Get Help
- NYSDOH Bureau of Immunization - Regional Field Offices Contact Information (6/2015)
- NYSDOH Immunization School Assessment and Compliance Unit: 518-474-1944 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYSDOH Bureau of Immunization email: email@example.com
- NYC primary/secondary schools, Head Start programs, nursery schools, and daycares should direct questions to the NYC Department of and Mental Hygiene at 347-396-2433.
Page last updated on 2/6/20