Health Examination | Guidelines and Resources
NYSED Memos below affect requirements for health exams for school attendance | interscholastic athletics for 2020-21.
Beginning 1/31/21 physical examinations for school are to be documented on the
NYS Required Health Examination or an electronic health record equivalent form.
The Sample NYSED Interval Health History Form has been updated to include questions related to COVID-19.
NYSED Memos Regarding Requirement Changes Due to COVID-19
- NYSED Memo: School Health Examination in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic -12/17/2020The Department is again extending the requirements for a health exam for school attendance and participation in interscholastic athletics. (NYSED December 2020)
- NYSED Memo: School Health Examinations in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic (5/21/20)
Requests schools accept any physical examination form for physicals conducted on or before 1/30/2021, regardless of the form used (NYSED 5/21/20).
- NYSCSH Clarification of School Health Examinations in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic
Provides additional information on acceptable health exams for school entry, mandated years, interscholastic sports (including AAP), CSE/CPSE, and working papers. (NYSCSH 6/4/20)
School Health Examination Guidelines 2018
School Health Examination Guidelines 2018
Provides information on student health examination requirements and guidance for administrators and school health personnel in establishing the mandated health program. (NYSED Updated May 2018)
School Health Examination Forms
Required NYS School Health Examination Form
This form should be completed by the private health care provider or school medical director to document health examinations. The form may be printed and completed by hand or completed electronically by saving it to your computer, entering the information into the fillable fields, and saving a copy for each student (NYSED, 2020).
Note: Make sure the version of the form you download and use has 2020 in the footer.
NYSED Instructions for Completion of New York State School Health Examination Form
This instruction sheet was created to assist providers in filling out in completion of the Required NYS School Health Examination Form in its entirety.
(NYSED, 2020) Additional Instructions: If all systems are normal please check the box "System Review and Abnormal Findings Listed Below" and all individual system boxes reviewed should be checked. If a system abnormality is assessed, do not check the individual system box and note the "Assessment, Abnormality Noted, and Recommendations" box provided.
Interval Health History Forms-This form may be modified by local school districts. If modified, it should be reviewed and approved by the School Medical Director and Administration prior to use.
- Sample Recommended NYSED Interval Health History for Athletics- Completed by parent/guardian no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of the sport. This form now includes questions related to COVID-19 (Fillable PDF Updated, 12/2020)
- Sample Recommended NYSED Interval Health History for Athletics- Completed by parent/guardian no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of the sport. This form now includes questions related to COVID-19 (Word Updated 12/2020)
Note: The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has released updated guidance on sports participation for students which includes the use of face coverings and recommendations for return following COVID-19. School medical directors may request additional information from the parent/guardian or request consent from the parent/guardian to speak with the private health care provider in order to provide clearance to participate or determine if accommodations are needed. Schools may request additional information they may not require that students see specific types of providers or specific tests. That is determined by the private health care provider. (12/4/20)
Medical Certificate of Limitations Form
- Sample Recommended Form-Medical Certificate of Limitations- Used to document private provider recommendations for accommodation for PE (Updated May 2018).
Athlete with Disabilities Form
- Sample Athlete with Disabilities Form-This resource from the American Academy of Pediatrics may be helpful in collecting additional health information from athletes with disabilities. (AAP-Bright Futures, 2019)
NYS Education Department Screening Guidelines and Memos for Hearing, Scoliosis, and Vision include guidelines, screening forms, School Health Exam/Screening Chart, sample parent notification and referral forms, sample teacher observation forms, documentation, and tracking forms.
Page updated 1/19/2021