Mental Health and Counseling Resources
Amendments to sections 135.1 and 135.3 related to Mental Health Education Now Effective
Requires all schools in NYS include mental health in their education curriculum, as part of existing physical health instruction. It will advance mental health literacy among young people statewide as schools prepare students with lifelong skills in mental health and wellness and increase their awareness of when and how to access treatment or support for themselves or others. A new School Mental Health Resource and Training Center is now available to assist schools to meet this requirement. The link to the School Mental Health Resource and Training Center is provided below. 7/1/18
Mental Health Law-Amendments to Sections 135.1 and 135.3 of the Commissioner’s Regulations related to Mental Health Education in Schools effective as of July 1, 2018, require mental health education as a part of a Health Education program. Clicking here will take you to the Laws|Memos|Guidelines page of the website to view the law.
Provides memos, guidance documents, and a wealth of educational resources to develop and/or adapt curriculum aligned with the New York State Learning Standards, and tailor instruction and programs based on local level needs. (May 2018)
- Mental Health Education Literacy in Schools: Linking to a Continuum of Well-Being Comprehensive Guide- Provides guidance for developing effective mental health education instruction in the classroom that complies with the amendments to Education Law §804, while also looking at embedding mental health well-being within the broader context of the entire school’s environment. (80 pages, July 2018)
- Mental Health Education Literacy in Schools-2-page flyer that provides an overview of the mental health law, the purpose of the NYS Mental Health Education Advisory Council and what schools can do. (NYSED, Curriculum & Instruction page May 2018)
- Mental Health Education Literacy in Schools-14 slide PowerPoint Presentation, May 2018)
- Mental Health Education and Services in Schools Presentation -24-slide presentation provides information on mental health legislation, learning opportunities, violence prevention, safe and supportive school climate, and restorative practices. (June 2017)
- Mental Health Resources for Educators: Contains 22 resources on signs of crisis, emotional trauma, prevention strategies for students and staff on mental health issues. (NYSED Curriculum & Instruction page. August 2016)
Collaboration of the Consortium for Science-Based Information on Children, Youth and Families with resources on healthy child and family updated quarterly, Monthly blogs summarize science-based information. Developed by leaders of seven divisions of the American Psychological Association.
Not-for-profit organization that promotes mental health wellness in NYS through training, education, advocacy and policy. Provides specific resources to assist NYS school health educators to implement mental health education in the school and classroom through student and staff education.
School Mental Health Resource and Training Center (MHANYS) Provides a website, hotline, webinars and training for school districts. The Center assists schools to establish community partnerships to meet the mental health needs of students and families. (MHANYS-Mental Health Association of NYS, 7/4/18)
Page last updated 7/15/18