Communicable Disease | Illness | Injury Notifications
The sample communications below should be reviewed and approved by your school medical director and school administrator. It is essential to maintain the confidentiality of affected students when sending notifications. If the local health department, in collaboration with the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH), determines that there is an outbreak of a reportable communicable disease, they will provide response guidance to schools medical directors and BOE's.
Communicable disease prevention, surveillance, notification, and reporting are important roles provided by the school health team. In addition to documenting the care of ill or injured students according to district procedures, it is important to share your observations and recommendations for following up with the student's parent or guardian. Information may include:
- A description of the illness which includes the date, time, and details of the complaint.
- Recommendations for follow up.
- School health services contact information.
General Information on Illness and School Attendance
Sample Health Office Visit for Illness|Injury Notifications and NYSDOH Information Fact Sheets
NYSDOH and CDC Information Fact Sheets (this list is not all-inclusive)
- Chicken Pox NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Conjunctivitis - Letter to Parents/Guardians (NYSCSH, 11/2019)
- Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) Fact Sheet Pink Eye
- Fifth Disease NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Flu NYSDOH Fact Sheet Parents: Fight Flu at Home and School English, Spanish, Bengali, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Korean, and Russian
- Hand Food Mouth Disease (Coxsackie Virus) NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Head Lice Alert Letter For Parents/Guardians Emphasizing Prevention (NYSCSH, 3/2019)
- Pediculosis (Lice) NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Lice Treatment Guidelines (CDC)
- Impetigo NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Measles Resources for Parents and Childcare Provider Measles Webpage (CDC)
- Measles NYSDOH Fact Sheet Measles notification is determined in consultation with NYSDOH|LHD
- Pinworm Infection NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Mycoplasma Infection (walking pneumonia, atypical pneumonia) Disease NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Ringworm NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Scabies NYSDOH Fact Sheets
- Shingles NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Skin Infections in Athletes NYSDOH Fact Sheet
- Streptococcal Infections NYSDOH Fact Sheet
The following sample form may be customized and used by districts based on your school Medical Director's Guidance and BOE policies.
Provides a checklist that may be used by the school nurse to document student visits, first aid provided, and the method by which the parent/guardian was notified. It includes information on injuries related to abrasions, cuts, or puncture wounds, which may require follow-up. Symptoms of potential infection and recommendations for monitoring are provided. Your school medical director should approve this form.