Nutrition and Physical Activity
Importance of School Nurse Education & How-To Strategies for Parents of Gluten-Free Kids - Featuring Nina Spitzer, President of the Celiac Disease Foundation's Greater Phoenix Chapter
Presidential Youth fitness Program - online webinars with free resources and tools to help you power your students’ health and fitness, support your quality physical education programming, and share your efforts with your community.
Action for Healthy Kids - offers a wide variety of virtual learning opportunities. From school breakfast programs and recess before lunch to wellness policy implementation. Most sessions are of no cost and are open to any interested individual or group. You need an Action for Health Kids Log In to view these archived webinars. It is free and easy to create. Click here for a full listing of webinars
Making it Happen: Overcoming Barriers to Increasing Physical Activity and Physical Education in Schools On May 13th, 2013, the IOM released the report: Educating the Student Body: Taking Physical Activity and Physical Education to School, which offers recommendations, strategies, and action steps to increase children's opportunities to engage in health-promoting physical activity in the school environment, including before, during, and after school.provides school and district-level administrators have employed to overcome commonly faced barriers such as scheduling or funding, and approaches that have been used to overcome challenges unique to minority, low income, or under-served communities.
Smart Snacks in Schools - USDA Smart Snacks Resource Website contains these presentation from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
- Smart Snacks... A Little PPT - A high level overview of the Smart Snacks nutrition standards, appropriate for administrators or back-to-school night.
- Smart Snacks... Just Enough PPT - Provide school staff with some background, including the July 1, 2014 deadline, venues where the guidelines apply, and the types of foods and beverages that will be allowed.
- Smart Snacks…A Lot PPT - Detailed presentation of the nutrition standards, suitable for training cafeteria staff.
- Fundraising presentation (PPT | 7.19 MB) (link is external) for the school community.
- Smart Snacks in School nutrition standards for all foods and beverages sold to students during the school day in vending machines, school stores, snack carts and a la carte lines, as well as through fundraising standards are now in effect and apply all around your school campus. This link provides a series of tools Healthiergeneration.org created together with the School Nutrition Association. Click here.
Page updated 2-25-17