Health Education Curriculum and Instruction
The resources below provide guidance, information, and resources for school health instruction as required by education law and Commissioner's regulations. Links on this page connect to the NYSED Curriculum and Instruction Health Education Webpage.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and AED studies
- Condom Availability
- NYSED Assessment Process for Review of a Local Education Agencies (LEAs) Condom Availability Plan (CAP) and Approval of the Plan for Training for School Personnel and/or Health Service Personnel Providing Personal Health Guidance to Students (Updated 11/17)
- Resources To Assist LEAs Choosing to Implement a Condom Availability Program (CAP) Webinar (11/17)
- NYSCSH Sample CAP Action Plan Tool- You can customize this resource to plan and implement a CAP. (9/2020)
- E-Cigarettes Learning Page NYSDOH Get the Facts Website.
- Erin's Law- Sexual abuse and exploitation prevention education for students in K-8th grade (10/29/20).
- Gambling Resources
- Guidance Document to Achieving New York State Learning Standards in Health
This guidance document provides local educational agencies with a framework for developing health curricula and implementing instructional and assessment strategies. (Updated 4/25/14)
- Guidance for HIV/AIDS Prevention Education (8/2019)
- Letter to Schools from Commissioners of NYSDOH and NYSED on the dangers of e-cigarettes (1/2019).
- Mental Health Education in Schools; Associated with CR Part 135.3
- Organ and Tissue Donation
- Sepsis Information
- Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Resources (by date of release)
- Memo Re: Clarification/Modernization of Health Ed Law (NYSED 2015)
- Supplemental Guidance: Resource Packet for Heroin and Opioids (NYSED 2016)
- Guidance for Providing Educational Resources to Address Substance Abuse (NYSED 6/2019)
- Evidence-Based Program Guidance for Substance Use Prevention Education in Schools, (NYSED 12/2020)
- Tick and Tick-Borne Disease: Education in School
Health Education Standards, Requirements, and Evaluation Tools
- Guidance Document to Achieving New York State Learning Standards in Health-This guidance document provides local educational agencies with a framework for developing health curricula and implementing instructional and assessment strategies. (Updated 4/25/14)
- Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool-HECAT-CDC tool to help districts, schools, and others conduct an analysis of health education curricula based on the National Health Education Standards and the CDC's Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum. Results can be used to improve the delivery of health education.
- National Health Education Standards and Performance Indicators (CDC)-Provides a framework for teachers, administrators, and policymakers in designing or selecting curricula, allocating instructional resources, and assessing student achievement and progress. Importantly, the standards provide students, families, and communities with concrete expectations for health education.
- NYS Learning Standards for Physical Education, Health and Family Consumer Science.
- NYS School Health Education Requirements Summary-This document summarizes health education laws, regulations, and required health education curriculum along with the instructional staff (by grade level) responsible for teaching health content. (NYSCSH 4/29/21)
A superintendent of schools may assign a teacher to teach a subject not covered by such a teacher's certificate or license for a period not to exceed five classroom hours a week, and due to the COVID-19 crisis during the 2020-2021 school year for a period not to exceed ten classroom hours a week, when no certified or qualified teacher is available after extensive and documented recruitment and provided that approval of the commissioner is obtained.
School Health Professional Organizations
- ASHA (American School Health Association)-Provides leadership in Interdisciplinary collaboration, advocacy, professional development, research, and provision of resources.
- NYSAHPERD (NYS Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance)-Professional organization that supports, advocates, and promotes physically active and healthy lifestyles through school and community programs in health education, physical education, recreation, and dance.
- SOPHE (Society for Public Health Education)-Professional association represented by a diverse membership of nearly 4,000 health education professionals and students throughout the US and 25 international countries. Members work in elementary/secondary schools, universities, voluntary organizations, health care settings, worksites, and local/state/federal government agencies.
Page last updated 5/12/21