September is Suicide Prevention Month
Signs for school staff to observe in their students who may be experiencing turmoil in their lives include the following:
- Withdrawal: Students who seem to separate themselves from others or are not "part of the group"
- Neglect of personal appearance: Back-to-school is a time when most students want to look their best. Try to be aware of those who may be neglecting their appearance.
- Hopeless language: Listen for hopelessness. It could sound like this, "You don't get it, my life is never going to change" or "Welcome to my life. Nothing ever works out for me.
- Aggression: Depression often presents in adolescent males as aggression or anger. If this is dismissed, it could lead to violence.
- Depression: Notice consistent, overall sadness or signs of depression. The longer someone experiences depression without help, the higher the risk of suicide
If you are concerned about anyone with suicidal thoughts, there is always help available: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline @ 1-800-273-8255