Count Us In NYS - Demonstrating the Value of School Nursing ServicesWhat is Count Us in NYS?Count US In NYS provides NYS school nurses with a tool that can be used to document school-level data on vision and hearing screening/referral, health visits and outcomes (back to class, home or EMS transport). This data can be used to educate school administrators, staff, parents and community members on how professional school nurses can directly impact the health, safety and educational success of students. Count Us In has been designated by NYSED as the reporting tool for vision referral outcomes for NY Sees.To make data collection uniform and as easy as possible, the Center has created templates you can download and print to enter your data.
- In September, each building nurse may begin collecting data using the Count Us In NYS monthly documentation forms provided below.
- A the end of the school year, the person designated as the district reporter may aggregate and share their data with NYSED via an online Survey Monkey reporting form. The aggregated NYS data will be shared at the state and national levels. No individual school data will be released.
Count Us In NYS Instructions and Documentation Forms For Monthly Building Level Data Documentation September- June
Monthly documentation forms completed by building level nurses.
Count Us In NYS Online Survey Instructions for District Level Data Entry 6/23 to 7/10
District data may be voluntarily shared with NYSCSH using this Survey Monkey online collection form. Instructions for completing the survey by the District Level Report are on the first page of the online survey. The survey takes approximately 2 minutes to complete. The Survey should be completed by 7/1.
- Influence local, state, and national student health policy;
- Identify best practices in school health; and
- Better understand child health.
- Lead to policies that better support the needs of students, increase evidence-based school nursing practice, and better youth health outcomes.
Data helps build bridges that connect school nursing to the rest of the health care system. This initiative provides the support and structure for the collection and use of data by every school nurse. Read the complete initiative vision document.
For more information, please contact Dr. Erin Maughan, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of Research, National Association of School Nurses.